Friday, August 08, 2008

Flashback Friday - Cinnamon Bears

The classroom smelt like sweaty playground rocks and I was feeling a little rowdy, which was unusual for me. Especially unusual since I was a first grader who was bent on being the teacher’s pet. (And I was)

When Mrs. Stott announced it was time to take out our math books, I quickly squeaked open the top of my desk and saw my book sitting right on top of the pile of school supplies inside. Giving into my mischievous impulse, I grabbed my book as fast as I could and slammed it into the still open desktop. It closed with a loud CLACK! Mrs. Stott’s head snapped to look at me. She smirked and then shook her pointed finger in my direction.

Great. What did I have to go and do that for? I’m really in for it now.

“Class”, called Mrs. Stott. “Class, I want to everyone to learn from Cammi’s example. Can I have your attention please?”

She wants to make an example out of me?

My cheeks were starting to burn. I could feel the gaze of 20 little eyeballs jabbing into me.

“Did everyone notice what Cammi just did?” said Mrs. Stott. “I certainly did.”

The heat from my cheeks jumped up into my earlobes. There was no hiding my embarrassment now.

Mrs. Stott reached into her desk as I groaned inside.

My Mom is going to kill me when I bring home a “Naughty Note” for her to sign.

“Class, I have a cinnamon bear for Cammi as a thank you for being such a great example.”

A what? Did she say cinnamon bear?

“I asked you to get out your math books and she did so in a quiet, quick manner without visiting with her neighbor.”

I think my ears are broken. Quiet? Wait, is she still talking about me?

“I’ll be handing out treats all year to those who are setting the example of behaviors I would like to see in my classroom. Here you go, Cammi!”

I reached out my little shaky hand and took the cinnamon bear from Mrs. Stott. I managed to say thanks without looking directly into her eyes.

I hate cinnamon bears. Yuk!

Not only did I hate the cinnamon in cinnamon bears, I hated the way they always seemed to stick to your teeth, no matter how carefully you chewed them. So what did I do with the cinnamon bear? I un-wrapped that sticky bear and ate it like it was the most wonderful treat in the world while the rest of the class looked on.

Besides, would such a sweet face do anything naughty in the first place?? J

5 comments:

Nesa said...

Yeah...a sweet mischievious face! I love your stories. I know I keep saying it, but you are always making me laugh. Love ya!

Jami said...

I totally remember taking pictures at Joaquin with those mirrors. I thought I was the teachers pet! j/k Good times.
-Kelly

Jo Lynn said...

Oh the school days, I really don't miss them. That picture of you is just too cute, how do you get them on your blog? Oh, I had Jason and Becky send an invite to you, they finally started a blog.

Megan C. said...

I totally have kids just like you in my classes every year! Gotta love'em because I was one of'em too!

Angie said...

Oh my goodness! When I first looked over your blog I saw this picture and I thought... "Lila is so cute. ... Wait a second, that picture looks far too old to be Lila... Holy Crap that's Cammi!!" I knew she looked a lot like you, but I didn’t know that the resemblance was THAT extreme.
I agree with you about those Cinnamon Bears. They're gross!