Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Time Flies

Yesterday I took Lila to the "big school" for Kindergarten registration. She was really excited as we walked through the doors, but she still held on to my leg tight. It made me feel a little better about having to let her go be her own person in a few months. I can't believe that I'm a mom of a 5 year old. I still have vivid memories of going to Kindergarten myself!

The administrator at the front desk looked at me like I was a crazy person when I handed her Lila's birth certificate. She asked if she had to put her full name down on the roll or if it was ok to list a nick name. I told her she didn't have a nick name, but I couldn't keep a straight face. So she will have Lila Blaser listed on the roll instead of Malilakai M Blaser. She asked me if we pronounce her name Malachi. (Seriously?!? Only in Utah...) Nick name or full name, she will still need to correct every teacher she has for the rest of her life. If they don't call her Malachi, they will call her "Lie-la" instead of "Lee-la". Sorry Lila!

We sat down at a table in the hallway to fill out paperwork and 3 Hispanic kids stopped and asked me in Spanish what we were doing. (I'm guessing on the translation) I guess that will just be another challenge Lila will have to deal with. I can't count how many times I've been asked to translate something in Spanish in school or even by complete strangers in a store....

I was also asked to join the PTA. Am I really old enough to have 3 kids, one of which is in elementary school, and be participating in bake sale fundraisers? I guess so. Time flies.

6 comments:

Megan C. said...

How exciting for Lila to be at the big school! That's so fun! Watch out - before you know it, you'll be running for PTA President!

Yeah, the ticker is just for our anniversary. No babies for us yet! But we'll let you know when it's time for that!

Jason and Nesa said...

He he, I had the same problem ALL throughout my school life in Utah, so I understand what she will go through. She will get so used to it that she will be able to correct the teachers before they even attempt her name =)

Lynne said...

Wow, Cammi--you sound like such a cool mom! Spanish speaking PTA president--with 3 kids, no less! I can see it all already! Makes me really happy to be the grandma and on the other end of the whole school thing! You can do it--you'll be great!

Sally said...

You'll find that Kindergarten is your salvation. She'll love it, and you'll love it too, although it makes for this tiny tiny window of time for you to go anywhere. Rats on that. If her school offers full day K, totally take that! Or move to VA, where my niece gets full day. Sulk. Malachi out of Malilakai? What on earth?! You're right, only in Utah.

Marc said...

I think I'll start teaching Lila Portuguese. Then she'll understand the Mexicans, respond to them in Port. and she'll be the queen of the kindergarten!
You're the greatest Cammi!

Papa EK said...

Remember when I took you to your first day of "real school"? We rode to kindergarden on a bicycle... you sat behind me in the child's seat. When we got there, you thought that we were going to play on the "jungle gym", which was just outside the classroom. But your teacher had everyone come inside, and sat all the new students down and sang songs. Then it was time for us parents to leave our children for the rest of the day. I watched you as I slowly walk to the door, knowing what an adventure your life is about to take.
As I rode home on the bicycle, I looked back and saw the empty seat, it made me lonely and sad... but it also may me happy cause my "Bebe" was growing up and on her way. Well now it's your turn and the cycle starts over again... and it's awesome. LOve You!